Thursday, May 9, 2013

Austrian Wiener Schnitzel

So I went back and forth about whether this should be titled "Wiener Schnitzel" or "Wienerschnitzel", but since I've only got about 20 weekly readers (and that's being charitable), I'll just assume you'll forgive me either way.

Anywho, as you can see in the picture, this is some greasy deliciousness. As I said before--Austria doesn't technically have a national dish--but this is probably the closest thing to it (or so sayeth the internets)

This is (somewhat obviously) a pretty easy dish. It's really just pounded out pork chops breaded and fried. I got the recipe from here and ended up using veal and had some leftover pork chops so I threw those in as well. So...to the ingredients!

4 pork chops (they originally used veal)
1/4 c. flour (all purpose or brown rice)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. bread crumbs
2 eggs
Oil or lard for frying (lard is traditional--but if you value your heart, you might not want to do that)

1. Pour and pre-heat your oil into whatever you are using for cooking (I used a cast iron skillet--but you could use anything with high rims). You should have enough oil that the little suckers float (gross, I know). NOTE: use something that has a high smoke point. DO NOT use olive oil.

2.  Pound the meat until it's about a 1/4 inch thick (or be lazy and buy the thin-cut chops at safeway)

3. Dip your chop in egg, then flour, then bread crumbs.

4. After it seems like the oil is hot enough (just let it sit under the burner for a few minutes) drop in your pork chops. Let them cook until they look brown and crunchy on the outside.

Next week we move on to the wonderful cuisine of Azerbaijan. They're all about the Dolma....so that's what's coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment